Monday, April 22, 2013

Saving Plants From The Frost

I'm always looking for a quick and easy way to do things...Yes I'm cheap I'll just go ahead and say it! I wanted to get my flowers in the ground and I just couldn't wait. I should have known how this Ohio weather would be! Of course the weather man is calling for frost all week. Being the cheap person I am I didn't want to invest in plant covers or plastic. Right in mid rant about this my husband stopped me with a genus idea, cover the flowering plants with Ziploc bags before the frost set in. So we went to the dollar store and got a box. We covered every flower head with a baggie and pinched them shut up to the stalk. This morning I ran right out as soon as the frost warning was lifted at 9am to check my beauties and wouldn't you know the baggie idea worked! I'm sure many of you are dealing with the same problem right now so I had to share! Happy gardening and Happy Earth Day!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. For some of my bigger plants, I like to use a big contractor bag. Sometimes I tape the open end of the trash bag to a hula-hoop so it's easier to slide big branches in without hurting them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an excellent idea! I would have never thought to tape the bag to a hula-hoop! That will be big help for my roses!

    ReplyDelete